During an online press conference, details were released on what changes are coming to GOG.com, provided by two “monks” asking for forgiveness on the heels of the recent “closure” of the classic games download site.
- Playing a “game” with old school gamers; many hints in their closure statement.
- Confirmed that they are coming back with a new website; had to re-write a bunch of code to get it running 10x faster and many more simultaneous users.
- No DRM or download client; still independent (not purchases by a larger company)
- Announced new features for GOG.com: free games available for new users; streamlined sign-up process; new sorting and browsing options for games by genre, best sellers, etc.; instant search bar (like Google); digital versions of all the “extras”; full Windows 7 compatibility for the games (with a few exceptions that are still being tested); Facebook “like” button; user recommendations.
- Baldur’s Gate The Original Saga announced for $10.
- Launch date of the new site: 1:00PM GMT on Sept.23/10.
- Long term, they want to match Steam (or at least be an alternative), but still be different in offering the old school games.