Publisher: Electronic Arts
ETA: Q2 2003
The Sims: Superstar
Everybody dreams of being a star at one time or another. How else do you explain the hordes of wannabe singers that tried out for the chance to become America’s next singing sensation on American Idol? Well, even if you can’t sing a lick, you could always live your rock-n-roll fantasy with The Sims Superstar, the newest expansion pack to the all-time biggest-selling PC title. Besides the glamorous existence of a singing sensation, you also have the opportunity to step into the shoes of a supermodel or movie star. Just like any other Sims job, you’ll have to work hard to make it to the top, but if you do, Sims fame and fortune await you.
Here’s the star-quality official info from Maxis:
In The Sims Superstar Expansion Pack, The Sims are ready for their close-up. Players can now realize their fantasies of fame and fortune as they pursue the dream of being a Rock Star, Movie Star or a Supermodel and. live the lifestyle of a celebrity. All new gameplay, new social interactions, and a whole new in-game destination offer players an all-access pass to the world of superstardom. Will your Sim become an icon or fade into the obscurity of bad dinner theater? Will they win a coveted Simmy award or be regulated to an infomercial? In The Sims Superstar, you are the idol maker.
- All new gameplay centered around a new fame score in the game UI.
- Build skills and win famous Sim friends to advance through ten levels of fame.
- Sign up with the Talent Agency to embark upon your dreams by looking through the tabloid, which is delivered to your house.
- Win a variety of different awards for achieving gameplay goals, including The Simmy Award and The Sim Choice Award.
NEW LOCATION AND OBJECTS
- All new “Studio Town” location with three distinct themes: movies, music, and fashion.
- Studio Town also features spa locations, dive bars, and clothing boutiques.
- All new studio objects, each with mini-games, reward you with fame and large amounts of cash. Earn access to higher level objects as you earn more fame and collect famous friends.
- Studio objects include: Karaoke Machine, Open Microphone Stage, Soap Opera Set, Music Recording Studio, Photo Shoot Set, Film Set, Music Video Set, and Fashion Runway.
- Lighten your Sims’ moods at the Oxygen Bar or let your Sim recuperate in the Star Trailer.
- Sims can fill their stomachs at Studio Town at the all new Sushi Cart, Smoothie Stand, or basic back-stage Buffet Table.
- Pamper your Sims at the spa, with a brand new suite of objects, including the Massage Table, Mud Bath, and Spa Steamer.
- Additional new objects for the house include a Skydiving Simulator, a Satellite Dish, an updated pool table, as well as stylish new furniture and top-of-the-line stereo equipment.
- Meet other famous Sims at Studio Town, or mingle with your adoring fans.
- Get your picture taken by the Paparazzo and watch out for the Obsessed Fan, who pays you relentless attention if you neglect your fan base.
- Inside the studio objects, Sims will seek approval from a variety of Studio Town professionals, including the Photographer, Director, Choreographer, Record Producer, and Fashion Designer.
- Ask for help from Lana, the Studio Town Production Coordinator.
- Receive awards from the Award Presenter.
- At home, hire an all-new personal Butler, who takes care of your house, hires additional staff, and even looks after the baby.
OVER 150 NEW ITEMS
- All new walls, floors, and roofs help create the feeling of Studio Town.
- All new skins complete the offering.
- Dozens of original Simlish songs ranging from a variety of genres.
This sounds like the most fun Sims expansion pack yet. While there’s been time to party, have some sizzling romance, go on vacation, and enjoy some creature comforts, this is the first instance that you’ve been able to enjoy a spectacular Sims dream job that makes you the envy of Sims everywhere. There are plenty of new NPCs floating around too, such as the picture-hungry Paparazzo and the psycho Obsessed Fan. And although there’s a Record Producer to seek approval from, don’t expect to see American Idol’s Simon Cowell around to burst your would-be superstar singing bubble. Like all of the previous expansion packs, Maxis will deliver a good product, but based on what’s included with Superstar, I’ll bet that this turns out to be the top-selling expansion pack yet. After all, who doesn’t want to be a Superstar?
- Lee Cieniawa