After spending hours researching the top gaming mice around, we decided to group up the ones that made our MMORPG cut. The objective this time around was figuring out what makes for a good WoW gaming mouse. In our tests, we understood one thing clearly from the onset – buttons really matter in WoW. The more the better!
Table Of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Gaming Mice For WoW In 2017
- 2 Buying A Mouse For WoW
- 3 Wrap Up
Top 5 Gaming Mice For WoW In 2017
|Logitech G600||$$||Laser, Wired||8,200|
|UTechSmart Venus||$$||Laser, Wired||16,400|
|Redragon M901 Perdition||$$||Laser, Wired||16,400|
|Corsair Scimitar||$$$$||Optical, Wired||12,000|
|Razer Naga Chroma||$$$||Laser, Wired||16,000|
1. Logitech G600
Specifically designed for use in MMO and MOBA games, the G60o comes with 20 buttons, with 12 located at the thumb panel. This allows for quick action as you literally get access to key essential commands at the palm of your hands. You can completely customize the functions of these buttons, the panel lighting as well as the DPI.
Speaking of DPI, the Logitech G600 can track up to 8200 DPI (shift between 5 DPI levels) and has a 1 millisecond USB report rate which means command lag is almost nonexistent. The mouse comes with three built-in memory profiles for quick changes depending in the type of game you are playing. The design is also quite sleek even with all the features included in the peripheral.
If you wish further personalization, you can also change the lighting on the panel. As for durability, it current rates at a 20 million click lifespan, so pretty solid in this category.
- The large size of the G600 helps preventing accidental button presses.
- It offers way more options for advanced players when it comes to customizing button layout and performance.
- Great value for a solid MMO gaming mouse.
- Thumb panel buttons can feel a bit stiff. Might take some getting used to.
- 20 MMO-tuned buttons: Includes unique 12-button thumb panel designed for quick, no-look navigation
- G-shift ring-finger button: Instantly double the number of actions you can perform with every button
- Built for comfort: Sculpted shape and tuned buttons reduce click fatigue during marathon multiplayer sessions
2. UTechSmart Venus
This is a powerhouse when it comes to MOBA/MMO specific gaming mouse. The UTechSmart Venus has a total 16400 DPI which is basically as high as you can go. This also means it is one of the most precise gaming mouse around. It also has a 1000Hz polling rate which effectively eliminates input lag in your gaming experience. It features 18 customizable thumb panel button for quick commands and an impressive 5 on-board memory profiles to cover quick transitions when it comes to your gaming performance needs.
The ergonomic design makes it fit like a glove and prevents strains during long gaming hours. I also find the weight and balance tuning capability a great addition for those who have a specific feel that they are looking for when it comes to their gaming mouse. You can also shift between 5 DPI gears, fortunately, each gear corresponds to a specific light color. This means you’ll never get lost as to what level of DPI you are using at the moment.
- Extremely responsive and precise even at the maximum DPI setting.
- Solid feel with the thumb grid and does not feel awkward when pressed.
- The mouse wheel feels a bit loose.
- Built with gamers in mind: up to 16400 DPI, 12000 FPS, 1000 Hz polling rate, 30G acceleration, 100-150in/s cursor speed, and an Avago sensor. Omron micro switches provide crisp, firm clicks.
- 18 programmable buttons, 5 Savable memory profiles each with a distinct light color for quick identification, an 8-piece weight tuning set (2.4g x8), and over 16 million LED color options. The LED may be disabled as per your preference.
- Durable smooth TEFLON feet pads and contour body for ultimate gaming control. High-end features including 18 buttons, power button, breathing light in 5 colors modes and 12 side buttons
3. Redragon M901 Perdition
Another equally impressive MMO gaming mouse is the Redragon M901 Perdition. With its 16400 DPI, which you can shift between 5 different gears (1000, 2000, 4000, 8200 and 16400), you’ll be able to get full control and precision in your game. It also has a 1000Hz polling rate which removes lag issues, so no excuses.
It features 18 programmable buttons, 12 of which are located at the thumb panel. You’ll be able to full personalize the commands in each button for your preferred layout. It also comes with 5 fully customizable built-in memory profiles that are easily differentiated with specific color panels.
It features extremely durable TEFLON pads for smooth movement over your mouse pad. The contoured design of the M901 makes it comfortable on the hands. For those looking for the extra mile in terms of customization, the M901 also features weight balancing capabilities to help you get the optimum feel.
- Weight can be adjusted quickly and easily.
- Lightning speed and accurate sensors.
- Feels tough as nails.
- Fully customizable.
- The thumb panel buttons are quite sensitive. Accidentally pressing them during intense gaming moments is a possibility.
- It’s quite large so gamers with smaller hands might find it awkward to use.
- Package contents: Perdition High-Precision Laser Gaming Mouse, 8-piece weight tuning set, and user manual.
- Built for gamers by gamers - up to 16400 DPI (1000/2000/4000/8200/16400 DPI), 12000 FPS, 1000 Hz polling rate, 30G acceleration and an Avago sensor, Omron micro switches.
- 18 programmable buttons, 5 memory profiles each with distinct light color for quick identification, an 8-piece weight tuning set (2.4g x8), and over 16 million LED color options. (LED may be disabled)
4. Corsair Scimitar
High end and designed specifically for gamers, that is what the Corsair Scimitar RGB is all about. It features everything you would expect from an MMO gaming mouse and then some. It has a thumb panel that you can adjust freely for optimum comfort. The 12-button layout on the thumb panel is fully customizable and has impressive tactile feedback for added accuracy.
Let’s head on to the nitty gritty of the Corsair Scimitar. It features 12000 DPI and 1ms response time that allows for superb precision and lag free gaming experience. As expected, it also features Corsairs patented CUE interface. With the CUE GUI, you’ll be able to customize everything from DPI matrices, double macros, MMO timer countdown and RGB lighting, to name a few.
The Corsair is designed to fit all hand type sizes. The contour gives it a smooth feel and a solid grip. The four zone RGB lighting is a nice touch for those who want to fully personalize their gaming gear. Each of the four panels located in the mouse can have individual colors.
- Customizing the four RGB light panels is a fun addition for those who adore personalizing their gear.
- The scroll wheel is precise and tight.
- The adjustable thumb panel makes it easier and more comfortable to use.
- The buttons feel good and delivers great tactile feedback.
- Sensor might have trouble when used on a shiny white surface. Remember to use mouse pad to avoid this problem.
- 12000 DPI pro-proven sensor - High performance optical sensor for a pixel precise gaming experience
- Dynamic multicolor backlighting - Customizable backlighting immerses you in the game by providing nearly unlimited lighting adjustability
- Complete CUE control - Don't just configure your mouse, program it
5. Razer Naga Chroma
What’s a PC gaming peripheral list without an entry from Razer? An incomplete one, that’s what. The Razer Naga has been the go to for most PC gamers both casual and pros alike. It offers 16000 DPI laser accurate sensor for optimum precision during heated PvP battles. It has 19 fully customizable buttons with 12 high tactile feedback thumb panel buttons.
The Naga Chroma is designed especially for MMO games, hence the superb in-game MMO configurator feature. You can fully customize all buttons in the Naga Chroma to have essential hot-keys, skillsets and macros at the ready. The tilt-scroll wheel is also a nice addition for quick navigation. You can move the scroll wheel up, down, left and right.
- Extremely responsive with zero input lag issues, even during intense online games.
- Maximum precision thanks to the 16000 DPI.
- Sleek looking and the RGB lighting can be fully personalized with 16.8 million customizable colors to choose from.
- The lighting on the logo has been removed. Just a nitpick.
- Some gamers report that the battery life of their Naga Chroma is quite short.
- The world's most precise gaming mouse sensor with 16,000 DPI.
- 19 Fully Programmable Buttons-Whether you're an MMO player or simply someone looking to expand their macro usage this mouse offers the freedom to program up to 19 buttons just the way you want.
- Chroma Lighting- 16.8 million color options ensure your Naga Chroma looks as good as it feels.
Buying A Mouse For WoW
World Of Warcraft is all about dealing the quickest combinations and keeping the pressure on your opponent. As such, combinations require multiple keystrokes or combination of button presses and keystrokes. The farther you progress in WOW, the more abilities you gain, the more combinations you gather.
With a macro button, you can program the exact combination of keys plus buttons including the time gap between each press. Creating macros, in turn, repeats combinations to perfection every single time, and so you have the ability to mesh together complicated moves and skills back to back. That is why gaming mice with loads of buttons and excellent software for configuring profiles and macros are crucial to mastering WOW.
But, are buttons the only consideration? Not at all. There is a lot more to consider. The polling rate and DPI are critical to your online success. Comfort and fit equally matters, though in our opinion any gaming mouse that is comfortable and has sufficient programmable buttons should suffice at least until you think of WOW as a passive income source.
Why Get A Gaming Mouse?
World Of Warcraft is fun to play. It can get addictive too but why should you even bother buying a specialised WOW Gaming mouse? Won’t any typical gaming mouse do? What about a regular everyday use mouse? If you want to improve in WOW, you have to customise the way you play, so it suits your style of gameplay. Learning to play better involves new combinations and moves, doing things quicker and building situational awareness.
A gaming mouse geared for WOW will offer you the chance to learn combinations quicker, feel comfortable and never miss out on a single skip or click of a button. Remember that these models are designed exclusively for MMO gameplay.
In fact, if you have always used a standard two button and middle scroll wheel mouse, an MMO gaming mouse will instantly feel different. If you have a friend, who games professionally or at least on an enthusiast’s level, borrow his or her gaming mouse for a day. The first couple of minutes will feel awkward because of all the extra stuff on it. After an hour though, you will experience two things.
First, the mouse will not wear your fingers or hand out. Second, you will intuitively begin using the extra buttons, configuring moves and combinations for in-game use. The ease with which you convert into a gaming mouse fan will startle you.
So, what things should a perfect WOW gaming mouse have?
High Polling Rates
Polling rates are measured in Hertz or Hz. It is defined as the speed with which the mouse communicates with your PC. To get the time, just invert the Polling Rate. So a 500Hz polling rate translates to 2ms. Likewise, 1000Hz equals 1ms. Hence, higher the polling rate, lower the time. Naturally, you should opt for the fastest polling rates available in the market, subject to availability in your region and your budget.
Keep in mind, MMO gaming requires quick button presses and accuracy of sequences that include time delays as well as long presses. You should, therefore, always get a mouse that has good separation between buttons along with a high polling rate.
Buttons Are Crucial
World of Warcraft is a game designed for button freaks. Unless you enjoy MMO games, you will never consider getting a mouse with ten plus buttons. However, for folks who live a second life in the WOW universe, a functional 12 button mouse is the difference between domination and submission.
However, button count is not everything. There are loads of cheaper alternatives that pack buttons to the hilt, but their placement hinders quick access. The buttons should all be placed with sufficient separation or at least raised enough that you need not look down at them once you learn their positions.
Few recognised brands tend to provide indentations or curves that move across buttons placed close together, so your thumb naturally learns the exact shape without needing to look down. On the other hand, some brands simply pack in buttons with numbers on them, calling them MMO gaming mice.
Our advice is to search for brands and models that take the care of differentiating each button from the other.
Top grade MMO mice use the best switches on the market. Two companies cater switches for keyboards and mouse – Cherry and Omron. Both companies make switches that are 100% reliable until they finally break. Low-grade switches can register false clicks or button presses. You click once, but the mouse registers a double click because of the tension in your fingers depressing the button slightly after the click. With Cherry or Omron switches though, there are no accidents.
Speed matters in WOW and good switch design helps achieve this as you are in complete control of the time spent between each keystroke, button press or click.
A mapping software helps extract the last iota of usefulness from a gaming mouse. This software controls what each button does, the polling rate and even DPI. All these settings can be saved into multiple profiles that can then be switched rapidly within a game such as WOW.
The advantage of having plenty of buttons and a good mapping software is that you can program all your moves and combos into the extra buttons and one button that helps switch profile instantly. Multiple profiles will allow you to switch quickly between offensive moves and defensive moves within a game. PVP matches become so much easier when you can anticipate a move from your opponent and quickly counter or even retaliate before they do.
Most brands today offer some sort of mapping software. Companies like Razor, MadCatz and Logitech offer proprietary software that controls a lot of things other than macro registration. But that doesn’t mean you cannot find an affordable brand with a third party software support.
Sensor And DPI
Half of the WOW gaming population will vouch for laser sensors, and the other half will trash it for its high precision, instead opting for an optical sensor. Both methods work fine in WOW, but we feel an optical sensor works best for the majority of gamers.
An optical sensor is not as precise as a laser sensor, and because of this, it won’t pick up on tiny imperfections of the playing surface. Professional gamers who use a laser sensor mouse tend to carry a couple of extra mouse pads that they are comfortable with just to counteract the jitters. Thankfully, with an optical mouse jitters are minimal.
We should point out that MMO gaming does not require high accuracy though reliability is critical. If you feel a laser mouse is reliable enough go for something that offers multiple DPI settings. As it stands though, we find optical sensors easier to use.
Once you decide on the sensor type, it is time to pick DPIs. Dots Per Inch is the how the mouse translates its physical movement onto the monitor screen. Naturally, higher resolution screens need a high DPI mouse. If you game at 1080p or less, any MMO gaming mouse will suffice. However, if you game at 2K or even 4K, look for high DPI gaming mouse with at least 700DPI minimum.
Wired Or Wireless?
A wired mouse will always have a faster response time though, in MMO gaming, response time lags of less than 10ms are not evident. In an FPS, 10ms lag can be the difference between getting your head blown off or surviving long enough to conquer a base. With WOW, wireless mouse devices work just as well as wired as long as the polling rates are high and you have sufficient buttons.
Some gamers, in fact, vouch for the effectiveness of a wireless mouse due to the lack of a hard wire. When trying to pan the map or zoom in and out quickly, a wired mouse can hamper your efforts. A wireless mouse though has complete freedom moving in any direction.
Grip And Style
In our opinion, how you hold a mouse and play WOW determines the perfect model for you. In a recent survey by The Wire Cutter, 26 percent said they do not pay attention to how they hold their mice. However, around 40% responded that they wouldn’t mind switching to a new gaming mouse if the grip was better than what they used.
For an excellent grip, look for a mouse that has a puckered or at least a rough surface. An abrasive surface helps maintain grip in high-stress situations when your palms are prone to sweating. Also, the shape of the mouse plays a critical part in determining just how much grip you get. Long with smoother curves are perfect for folks with a claw grip because the buttons are longer. However, for folks who prefer placing the entire palm on the mouse, look for a thick mouse that bulges at the centre to accommodate ten additional buttons on the side. The thickness gives you a full grip allowing for the fingers to stretch out and reach buttons comfortably.
At the end of the day, it boils down to what you prefer. There are a few mouse brands that offer the ability to change the shape and style of the mouse. While they cost more, the level of grip and comfort customization helps.
Lift Off Distance
MMO gaming requires quick panning of the map or world, especially when playing as a team. To do this, you would lift the mouse up as you reach the edge of your reach and bring it back closer to start again. With a high lift off distance, the view might disorient as you bring the mouse down because the mouse tracks mid-air too. Ideally, you want your mouse to have less than 2.5mm lift-off distance.
Features Not To Get Or Disable On Your Mouse
Some mice come with a lot of additional features that help in games other than WOW or general usage. However, these features are a hindrance in MMO games.
- Acceleration – A standard feature in some brands, acceleration is handy in general use but never in games. Acceleration compels the screen cursor to start slower and speeds up as you move more. If your mouse has this feature enabled, disable it from the software.
- Jitters – A mouse should register a perfect straight line when it is moved in a straight line. If this does not happen, you are experiencing jitters. Check the mat or pad for abrasions or change your mouse.
- Prediction – Gaming mice usually do not predict but if this happens, turn it off. Prediction is the ability of the mouse hardware-software combination to help draw better straight lines or smooth our curved motion. We do not want that happening in the middle of a tense battle.
- Sensitivity – This is the software side to DPI. Sensitivity is controlled from Windows or Mac. Always keep sensitivity turned down to low so you can control the movement of your mouse solely through DPI.
How Much Can You Pay?
With so many factors influencing your WOW gaming abilities, how can you pick the perfect gaming mouse without stretching your budget? You can, if you prioritise your requirements. Put button count and design as a top priority. Comfort, fit, polling rate and lift-off distance come lower on the list but are equally vital.
Find a mouse that satisfies the top four requirements and you should not exceed your budget. Check out new brands and their models. They cost less since they lack the brand awareness of larger names.
For an MMO gaming mouse, the software is just as critical as the hardware. You can have a lot of buttons, but if you cannot customise them to your liking, you just wasted money. Likewise, comfort and ergonomics are equally important. MMO gaming involves hours of uninterrupted gameplay. Your mouse should feel comfortable, almost like a natural extension of your arm.
Remember, getting a top notch gaming mouse isn’t enough to improve your game. It helps get faster with practice, but you still have to learn techniques, play more and hone your skills further. A good MMO gaming mouse, however, does help get better quicker.