Why Buy The Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers?
Volume isn’t the only reason to purchase the Logitech Z906 speaker system. If you want a true surround sound experience and have a capable sound card to pair it with, this is the speaker solution for you. Remember, it costs a lot more than the model it replaces though you get what you pay for – sound quality, fidelity, and detail that will put the best home theater systems to shame.
It is time to shatter the peace of your neighborhood. The Logitech Z906 is a THX certified 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound speaker system that converts any room into your personal home theater. You hear everything from the rustling of leaves to approaching footsteps and tire squeals the way it was meant to be heard.
Adhering to strict performance requirements for THX certification, the Z906 promises a holistic cinematic sound experience even at near full volumes, though you probably will never exceed 50 percent master volume considering the 1000-watt peak power of the speaker system. The subwoofer alone boasts of 165 watts while the dynamic speakers are each rated at around 65 watts. Collectively, the entire package has 500 Watt total RMS with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS encoding for surround sound technology.
The Logitech Z906 speakers weren’t just designed for a PC. It is a complete home solution that can connect with a total of six audio sources including a gaming console, music player, computer and even recording devices. If you use the digital inputs, then the speakers convert all conventional stereo signals into immersive 3D stereo renderings.
- 5.1 digital surround sound: Hear every detail in your Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks the way the studio intended
- THX-certified home theater speakers: Your assurance of true cinema-quality sound. Satellites : 4 x 67 W, wall mountable
- Delivers a continuous 500 watts of power, with the ability to deliver a peak of 1,000 watts under certain circumstances: Thunderous, room-shaking audio with deep bass you can feel
Logitech is a brand synonymous with PC specific products. For long Logitech has made some phenomenal speakers that have given the best home theater systems a run for their money. The Logitech Z906 is its latest offering that aims at improving on its legacy.
The Z906 has THX certification and 500W RMS power coursing through its five satellite speakers and a single subwoofer. The satellite speakers feel sturdy, designed to survive a couple of falls and has sufficient shielding to prevent dust buildup. The model this speaker replaces had a bright LCD screen, which the Z906, unfortunately, does not sport. In its place, is a control unit that uses orange LEDs with a large volume dial and several more LEDs. Though the layout is intuitive, it can get distracting, especially when gaming in the dark. Thankfully, you can operate the speakers using the remote, with controls for tone, volume, and active input.
If you have used a Logitech speaker in the past, then you know they prefer proprietary connections rather than the conventional speaker wires. Thankfully, Logitech has decided to do away with such proprietary connections and instead offers 4.6m front and 7.6m rear cables. In the event the cable length is not sufficient, you need not splice wires together like before. You can just order online the appropriate length generic speaker cables. There are two mounting options for the satellite speakers. You can either mount the front and rear speakers on the wall or place them on a pedestal. We suggest wall mounting as this gives the best surround sound effect possible.
One of the first games we played on the Logitech Z906 was Call of Duty. This game offers the best surround sound experience, almost as if you were watching a Blu-ray movie. In fact, with a good sound card (we use the Sound Blaster Z) you can easily replicate 5.1 surround sound without having to push the master volume past 50%.
The Z906 does not just provide master volume control but individual controls for each speaker and arrangement. You can change the front and rear speaker volumes together, separately or on a per-speaker basis. That is independent of the master volume as the master volume increases the overall output from the complete setup. In other words, you get a full home-theatre setup for a fraction of the cost.
The control unit of the Logitech Z906 isn’t just descriptive of each setting but also capable of streaming from six sources. It offers a plethora of solutions ranging from RCA audio to Digital optical and digital coaxial sources. You can choose the source of the control unit and set different volume settings for each. Considering how efficient these speakers are and the money you spend buying them, we were disappointed not to find any HDMI input or output. Hence, the only way you can play Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio is if your Blu-ray player is capable of decoding these codecs. Otherwise, you are stuck to Dolby Digital and DTS formats using the S/P-DIF connection.
- Each satellite speaker has sufficient power to fill a room on their own.
- Master volume control governs the overall loudness, but the console can manage the volume settings of each speaker or region separately from the master volume.
- The speaker system has its remote control for wireless controls.
- Converts basic stereo into 3D surround sound stereo if you use the digital inputs.
- Wires for rear speakers are longer than the wires for the front speakers. Conventional speaker cables are used.
- The speakers are THX certified.
- Gaming on these speakers is spectacular.
- Plays music, movies and everything else with equal quality. It can handle signals from six sources simultaneously.
- Obviously, the speaker system is expensive. It is in fact, Logitech’s highest priced speaker system.
- Tinkering with individual speaker controls and setting it up the first time can be a pain. Earlier models had a full LCD screen that made it easier to read and change settings. The new design now uses LED lights and knobs.
- The console can be distracting with so many LED lights.
Having reviewed the Logitech Z623 some time back, we had some idea of what to expect from the Z906. Besides, the Z906 is supposed to be a decent improvement over the Z506 5.1 surround sound system, which was a fantastic speaker system on its day. While Logitech claims the Z906 is a home theater system, we believe it is more than just that. It is a well-designed and highly tuned speaker system that comes close to reference monitors with individual speaker volume controls, a total of six audio inputs and the built-in DTS and Dolby Digital processing.
3D stereo is probably the best feature of the Z906 as it transforms old games with no Dolby support by adding some amount of three-dimensional awareness. This speaker actually does enhance aural perception, regardless of what it is you are doing. If you can invest right around ~$300, we suggest buying the Logitech Z906.