Overwatch season five starts today, and I couldn’t be happier. We didn’t even have to wait a week between season four and five, which means I haven’t forgotten all my sweet moves that propelled me to an above average season rank. That said, I always hear/see people asking what they can do in order to get the best season rank (SR) out of their placement matches. You have 10 chances to kick off season five as Grand Master, so let’s go. Here are my five tips on how to start Overwatch season five with the best placement matches.
1. Team up: Find a good partner or two to work with during placement matches. Going solo is risky as you never know what team you will end up with. Is it a super squad or a bunch of people just trying to get through placements and get their rank. At least with one partner you can work together.
2. Communication: Use your mic. Even if you hate doing it, communicating with your squad can be the difference between a W or L.
3. Practice: So the season started, who cares! It’s several months long. You have plenty of time to swing up and down in your season rank. It’s a much tougher battle going from 1500 to 2500 than 2500 to 3000. Work on your aim and player skills.
4. Get on fire: While Overwatch doesn’t really say what all is involved with your season rank, there are three things that matter the most. Winning, Kills, and time on fire. I love Lucio, but I’m going to be looking at Soldier 76 or Roadhog to do my placement matches.
5. Adjust your play: During player selection, find out what your team needs and see if you can fill that void. This is where the microphone comes in handy “I’m a better Zen than Mercy for heals.” Stuck at a choke? Fly over. Getting wrecked by Bastion? Switch to counter. Help yourself by helping your team.
Bonus tip: Have fun! Seriously, don’t be toxic. If you feel tilted because you lost two in a row, stop and do something else. Go crazy with Winston in Total Mayhem arcade mode – So satisfying to go ape and fling people off maps.
Follow these five basic tips and you should be able to have a solid SR placement. Best of luck to everyone in season five!