Warning: Illegal string offset 'id' in /srv/users/jonas/apps/armchairempire/public/wp-content/plugins/wp-review-pro/includes/functions.php on line 184
Warning: Cannot assign an empty string to a string offset in /srv/users/jonas/apps/armchairempire/public/wp-content/plugins/wp-review-pro/includes/functions.php on line 184
Warning: Illegal string offset 'id' in /srv/users/jonas/apps/armchairempire/public/wp-content/plugins/wp-review-pro/includes/functions.php on line 189
We Recommend The ASTRO A40 TR Gaming Headset For
Those who love gaming and make it their first priority, those who want nothing but the best for their gaming rig – you are the target market for the Astro A40 TR gaming headset. Packed with top notch specifications, loads of customizable options and aftermarket mods, this headset is well worth every penny you spend. We had it with us courtesy of the guys at Astro for about couple of weeks and not a single person in our team had something bad to say about it.
The only real gripe we have is the price. Maybe without the MixAmp Pro TR, it would look appropriately priced to us but as things stand, if you can afford this beauty, then go for it!
Warning: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /srv/users/jonas/apps/armchairempire/public/wp-content/plugins/aawp/includes/aawp/product-helper-functions.php on line 56
- Tuned for Gaming with ASTRO Audio: optimized by ASTRO audio engineers and pro gamers
- Superior Fit & Finish: premium materials and construction, highly adjustable and lightweight
- Mod Kit Ready: go from an open-back to a closed-back noise isolating headset with swappable Mod Kit components (sold separately)
ASTRO A40 TR Introduction
Bundled together, the ASTRO A40 TR headset and the MixAmp Pro TR, is a match made in heaven. Used by professional gamers, this particular model is in fact the Official equipment for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. Yes, it costs a lot of money but in return you get a quality product with levels of user customizations available. Be it home use, LAN gaming or even a noisy pro tournament, the Astro A40 have you sorted thanks to hot swappable components such as the ear cushions, speaker tags and microphone. Each Mod Kit is sold separately though but they are worth collecting if you really are serious about gaming.
Time we quickly preview what’s in store for you. The Astro A40 TR edition comes with customizable speaker tags, removable and side swappable mic, Dolby 7.1 surround sound processing, over-the-ear comfortable huge padding and with the MixAmp Pro, loads of equalizer presets too.
ASTRO A40 TR Design
Premium build quality all the way. Be it the construction or the choice of premium materials, the Astro gaming A40 TR headset blasts the competition away with its luxurious feel. No wonder professional gamers keep their headsets on even when they don’t game. If I had one of these babies, personally I wouldn’t remove them ever. Hidden beneath the sexy exteriors though is a malleable and conforming interior that surprisingly twists and bends according to your head’s contour. Besides, being lightweight you don’t really feel them on your head. The design even allows those who feel cramped to leave the headsets flat around the neck.
Customization is what truly sets the Astro A40 TR apart. To start with you get a choice of magnetic speaker tags and you can even build your own custom speaker tags using their online customization app. These add that professional appeal to your gaming odysseys. Next up, the microphone that is not just detachable but also swappable. Basically it attaches to either side of the headset depending on what you are comfortable with. Plus, the cable plugs straight into the headset using a 3.5mm 4-pole jack. This cable has a secondary inline mic on it plus a inline mute switch, volume control and answer or hang up button. Additionally, it comes with the MixAmp TR Pro and the cable it requires. And finally, the pads, what can I say. These pads are the sweetest around. They are massive and sit so comfortably on your ears. Plus, the ability to move from open back to closed back with noise cancellation using the add-on Mod Kit let’s me decide when I want absolute silence and when I prefer having the ambient noise filter in through the headphone.
ASTRO A40 TR Specifications
Let’s begin by stating that the Astro A40 TR comes with its own amplifier called the MixAmp TR Pro. This amplifier is what all the cables connect to from the headphone and your computer. Plus, it controls the volume levels for each connection while offering a handy collection of equalizer presets too. Not many headset manufacturers think this far ahead when designing a gaming headset. If you aren’t yet impressed then wait till you try the microphone. Besides being swappable on either side, it is unidirectional with exceptional noise filtering ability. In fact, it is so good that at times if you aren’t careful, the mic can pick up the soft breath underneath you voice.
As for the sound quality, 7.1 surround sound with clarity and zero bleed. Yes, the package comes with the bareback headphone but you can always get the full-back noise cancellation mod later on if that’s what you want. In my opinion though, average home gamers will never really need the noise cancellation feature simply because of the amazing sound quality on offer in the stock setup. Besides, if you ever want to tweak the sound quality, the ASTRO amp included with this headset does a fine job.
ASTRO A40 TR Performance and Feel
How does it feel to wear something so expensive and elegant? Well for starters, it feels really different. Yes, I find the design a bit cumbersome but, if I eventually got used to its bulky looks. The fact that it only looks bulky but is actually quite light is what I love about it. Plus, the sound stage is quite wide and deep, which is not surprising considering this is a Dolby 7.1 surround sound headset. Watching HD movies with this is like listening to the characters as if they were right there around you. Man, this is a wet dream for anyone who wants complete immersion in their gaming without too much automation. That is probably why the pair the MixAmp TR with this headset. Granted at first, it can be confusing how to mix and match all the computer settings and the Amp settings but once you get the hang of things, it starts making an impression on you.
Talking about the feel, comfort was probably the biggest advantage of this design. Fact that you can wear the mic on whichever side you prefer does speak a lot about the thoughtfulness of the designers at ASTRO. Plus, with so many additional aftermarket mods available for the A40 TR, it is no wonder that this is a fan favorite among many intermediate to professional level gamers. Word of advice though, get the full-back noise isolation MOD and make a customized speaker tag if you plan on entering professional gaming competitions.
ASTRO A40 TR Pros
- Killer gaming features and the looks to complement its status as a gaming megastar.
- Construction is sturdy as it is elegant. This headset should last a good three or even four years with ease.
- If music is your thing as much as gaming is then you will love the included Amp. It really does bring the headset’s nuances out in the open. Preset equalizers are a nice user friendly touch for those who don’t want to waste time configuring everything up.
- With so many modifications available as aftermarket purchase, the level of customization on offer with the A40 TR is just amazing and unparalleled in the market.
- The ear pads are super comfortable as they just sit over your ears rather than smack on it. This plus the lightweight construction made for hours of fun gaming with absolutely no pain.
- The microphone probably is what made my day. First you can attach it to either side of the headset. Second, the mobile cable has an inline mic. You decide how you want to game. Besides both mics are clear though the boom mic is unidirectional and crystal clear.
ASTRO A40 TR Cons
- Expensive considering the cost of aftermarket MODS from Astro. Would have been nice if the prices of the aftermarket stuff was lower or if the A40 was cheaper. But, game branding with COD is the reason why this model is expensive.
- There is absolutely nothing that explains how to use this headset, included in the packaging. No detailed manual or anything, plus the website is a little light on literature. We had to learn using online forums and the old method of trial & error.
- The included Amp is a nice touch though, our team felt that the headset does well without it too, so you may want to consider getting the headset without the amp, especially if you already have an amplifier.
ASTRO A40 TR Conclusion
The king of customization among all headphones we have reviewed thus far, the Astro Gaming A40 TR is indeed a gamer’s dream. It has infinite levels of customization and not to mention add-ons too. From the speaker tags that you can customize to the way you fit the microphone on either side, the folks at ASTRO do not take anyone for granted. They want you to have a splendid time gaming and game the way you like to. We had a blast with the Astro A40 TR gaming headset and while the price is a little uncomfortable for us, if you can afford it, by all means go for it. No way you are getting disappointed. But, take our advice and get the full-back mod as well for proper noise isolation.