We Recommend The Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard For
Logitech makes affordable gaming peripherals and the G105 membrane type gaming keyboard is no different. With its massive set of macro options, time sensitive keystroke recording and complete anti-ghosting this is a gamer-centric keyboard that doesn’t cost a kidney or two. In fact, the keyboard’s design is simply to die for. We recommend this keyboard to anyone with an affinity towards membrane type keyboards but a need for multiple macro keys. In fact, any gamer will be happy owning a Logitech G105 but don’t expect the same key reaction as a mechanical keyboard.
- Long-life blue LED backlighting: Select from two brightness levels to easily see keys in the dark
- 6 programmable G-keys: Configure up to 18 unique functions per game, including single key presses, complex macros or intricate Lua scripts* (*Requires software installation)
- Multi-key input: Press up to five keys at once to perform multiple complex actions without interference or ghosting
Logitech G105 Introduction
Who said you need to spend heavy for a proper gaming keyboard? Even membrane keyboards do an awesome job gaming and the Logitech G105 is a testament to that fact. This serious gamer’s essential tool is packed with fully programmable G-keys plus dual level backlighting. The backlights illuminate each key and thanks to the cool blue shade, it glows without piercing the eyes in the dark. A total of 6 programmable keys, together with three quick switch profile keys totals up to 18 macro settings per game. Programming these macros is easy as you can do it within a game. Now isn’t that something?
This keyboard features anti-ghosting technology that prevents interference between keystrokes and can handle a maximum of five keystrokes at once. But what truly sets this keyboard apart among all membrane type gaming keyboards is the attention to detail and the obvious quality of Logitech. The G105 is perfect for anyone who despises mechanical keyboard and the unending clicks they bring with them.
Logitech G105 Design
This Logitech keyboard won our hearts with its gamer-centric design. Nothing about the keyboard is mundane. From the left six macro keys to the top three profile keys, the brightness button and the Logitech button all are precisely positioned on a slightly textured but curved platform that has no sharp edges. In particular, the top of the keyboard is what catches your attention with the cable region featuring two mini-handle clamps like openings that we believe are mostly for show or maybe even cable management but definitely not to carry the keyboard. As for the keys, they are membrane type and depress to a certain extent so are equally comfortable when typing or coding.
The entire keyboard features blue backlit illumination with two different brightness levels, however, because the keyboard is sealed with no raised keys, the light emanates only through the porous letterings on top of each key. While this detracts from the overall brightness of the keyboard, it kind of looks cool in the dark as only the letters illuminate.
The bottom side of the keyboard does not suddenly taper off. There is a gradual slope, which is more in the center where your palm would rest and lesser as you go closer to either edge. This helps in relieving some of the pressure felt on your wrist.
Logitech G105 Specifications
Logitech is a brand known for its quality products at an affordable price. The Logitech G105 gaming keyboard is no different. Complete anti-ghosting technology with 5 key roll-overs allows for hardcore gaming without ever worrying about a missed move or sequence. Best of all, the macros are easy to configure and record plus the availability of more than one profile basically means that you can configure up to 18 macros in total. Now, isn’t that great?
The function keys up to hold all the media controls such as forward, backward, pause, stop, start, mute and volume control. Plus, a dedicated gaming button deactivates the Context/Windows/Menu keys entirely so you can have a gaming session without any accidents. The keys on this particular keyboard are designed to withstand hours and hours of abuse especially the kind that is inflicted by a gamer. All in all, this membrane keyboard does pack a serious number of features all directed towards hardcore gamers who want a reliable gaming peripheral without spending too much money.
Logitech G105 Performance and Feel
The Logitech G105 gaming keyboard received mixed feelings from my testing team. Some absolutely loved it while others hated it. This is a keyboard that you will either love from the onset or simply hate it to the core. It all boils down to the tiny things on this keyboard. For starters, the keys have a sandpaper like feel to them when you hit them and to many of us, this was unnatural. It takes a few days getting used to the keys but it isn’t something that you should use to disqualify this keyboard. On the up, though, it helps in ensuring proper key contact rather than your keys sliding off dome-shaped membrane keyboards. As for the macro keys, that particular section was a major hit among us all. A total of 18 configurable macro settings and that too with time delay included – it is an MMO and online gamer’s dream functionality. However, there is a tiny snag to it all. This keyboard isn’t built to the best of standards and the silicon seal on the keys will begin to wear quickly because of which some keys may start showing signs of fatigue by triggering even when you haven’t directly hit them. Good news, though, the keys are all removable (though they don’t give you a key puller) so you can clean them and reset the silicon seals once again. We advise doing this every few months.
As for the key placements, the macro keys are a little too close to the left end of the keyboard, you may accidentally smack one or two when aiming for the Ctrl or Shift keys with your pinky finger. Nevertheless, just having the on-the-fly macros is a major boost to the credibility of the Logitech G105 as a gaming keyboard. For those preferring membrane keyboards, this is an easy keyboard to play, type and code on. Best of all, it doesn’t make any noise at all.
The backlit keys aren’t exactly standout and will seem dull to those used to open keyed mechanical keyboards, however, the lettering on the keys do stand out in absolute darkness. It is only when you are on a really bright stage and the letters are hidden in the glow of your screen that you realize another level of brightness would be nice.
Logitech G105 Pros
- The most affordable gaming-centric membrane keyboard available at the moment. For its price, even if you can stretch its life to around a year, it still makes better sense than investing into more expensive keyboards.
- Macro keys are completely programmable with time sensitivity and with 18 macro options, you should be set for all kinds of games.
- The keyboard is full-sized with a complete numpad and macros to the left. There are even two dedicated buttons – one controls the brightness of the backlight and the other turns the Windows/media/function keys off for uninterrupted gaming.
- Anti-ghosting works perfectly on this keyboard as you can press multiple keys at once without ever feeling a loss of signal.
- The base is heavy and this speaks of the overall quality though the keys are a bit flimsy.
Logitech G105 Cons
- The sandy texture of the keys is a bit odd. It takes time getting used to them but nothing to worry about.
- Macro key placement is too close to the left and can accidentally trigger the in-game menu or some macro when your intention was to press the Ctrl or Shift keys.
- The backlight is just about right but an additional level of brightness would have been nice. As it stands, you have low, high or completely off as the current options.
- A few folks have complained of unintentional key presses. This usually happens with time as the silicon seals under the keys may deform with time. If this happens, remove the key and reset the seal.
Logitech G105 Conclusion
Gaming is the sole purpose of the Logitech G105 gaming keyboard. With its plethora of macro keys, multiple profiles and timing sensitive recording feature, those who love MMO and RPG will absolutely adore this keyboard. The entire keyboard is mapped with anti-ghosting allowing five simultaneous keystrokes and this in itself makes it a better proposition than many mechanical keyboards in the same price range. As long as mechanical isn’t the number one priority for you, the Logitech G105 gaming keyboard will serve all your gaming needs. Yes, there is the reliability concern but it is present on all membrane based keyboards plus, this keyboard can be completely taken apart for cleaning and inspection so if ever a key refuses to behave you can clean and repair it.