Proform Performance 400i Treadmill Introduction
This isn’t my first rodeo with Proform and for the second time running I am disappointed with Proform’s support service. Great treadmill with some really amazing features but the lack of any direction from the support team is a total let down. I remember Proform being a more reliable company in the past.
Anyways, here’s my product review since that’s what I am here to do and not berate a company’s customer care team. Read my review to understand why I am so upset with Proform.
The motor on this unit is rated 2.5 HP continuous meaning that it can operate at a peak of 2.5HP without needing any rest. As for the deck it is cushioned with springs and a few other features so it feels great to walk or run on. The console is large and descriptive with clear buttons and loads of profiles built in. Enough of specifications, if you really need them you can always see them on Amazon. Time to get down right to the review.
- 25 chp Mach Z motor, 20 x 55 tread belt, proshox cushioning, space saver design
- 19 inch length
- 18 workout Apps, grip Pulse EKG heart RATE monitor, this heavy-duty treadmill accommodates up to 115 Kg.
Proform Performance 400i Treadmill Review
On paper the Proform 400i is nothing short of a beast. It has the right set of features, a powerful motor and even the right warranty and protection. However, in reality it is a major pain just to get working. My fitness center ordered three of these as replacement for aging Precors and I am sorry to say that we had to return them all and opt for the more expensive Lifespan models instead.
The problem wasn’t with all three but only one of the treadmills we received. Unfortunately, because it was a service issue, all had to go back. Here’s what happened.
The treadmill comes with lots of components and screws but not a detailed manual. It tells you where everything goes until you realize that something is missing. In our case on the of the treadmills had a wire missing for the console and because of that the speed settings never changed. We promptly placed a call to Proform and they denied any help until we registered all our products online. We did that and called back. Again no help!
After a day of incessant calls, we decided to call the local Proform dealer for advice and his words were, “We have moved away from Proform commercial grade products and no longer provide support because of increasing complaints!”
That was the last straw and we returned this treadmill promptly. Because of this website, I convinced the owner to retain the one unit that worked perfectly. No reason why it can’t outperform other brands and models even though service is a major issue, right?
Now that I have sufficiently warned you about Proform’s lack of care for your problems, let’s get to the actual workings.
Almost immediately you notice the futuristic console. It is like you are driving a Formula 1 car with a speedometer and some other whacky instrument cluster around. Buttons on this look like they were meant for a nitrous boost. I felt energized working out on this treadmill because of the profiles and options available. By the way, the deck is well cushioned so you really feel like gliding rather than running on this.
The incline settings and speed options are ample. I only got a week to test it out because that’s the duration we could hold on before we ran out on the return period. In this week, I pushed the treadmill through its paces, changing inclination on the fly, restarting profiles, recording stats and more. One qualm I had was that you can’t pause and continue a workout session. The moment you hit stop or pause, you lose every detail of your previous session and have to start afresh. Poor judgement from Proform considering their manual says this model should have a pause/resume feature.
Proform Performance 400i Treadmill Pros
- Excellent design overall, almost looks like tomorrow’s treadmill.
- Deck cushioning is the best I have experienced till date.
- Well designed console with loads of readings and controls.
- Heavy and well-built.
Proform Performance 400i Treadmill Cons
- Poor customer support, absolutely horrible.
- Expect a screw or component missing in the packaging since two of ours missed something.
- Heavy and wide for some homes.
- Warranty does not count for anything if it is not honored.
Proform Performance 400i Treadmill Best Features
- Ample Options – The console impressed me a lot. The number of profiles, settings and features it packs in is just absurd. There’s so much that it can take you a month or two to use them all.
- Deck Is Feather Like – The deck cushioning absolutely removes any pressure on your joints or your back. This is easily the best running belt I have used thus far. Pity could not use it longer than a week.
- Great Motor – 2.5 HP continuous power is a lot and the motor seems designed to take a beating. Best of all, it never shudders or cries out for rest.
- Inclination On-The-Fly – This treadmill has ample incline options and changes between profiles and runs. You need not stop but just press the up or down button to change the inclination on this treadmill.
- Well Priced – If you have an electrician for a friend and a DIY expert as well then this is the best priced product out there in terms of commercial but home user centric treadmills.
Proform Performance 400i Treadmill Conclusion
This review is short because I only got a week to test it out. Unfortunately, in this one week I understood the flaws of this model and Proform in particular. I hope Proform is reading and they improve their game because, you sir is losing a lot of loyal customers thanks to your ridiculous customer service. Why make such a great product only to never help your customers out?
If you can work with the negatives of missing parts and problematic wiring, get this treadmill. It is designed to last and has the best deck cushioning as well as console among all commercial grade treadmills. You simply cannot go wrong with this treadmill unless you don’t receive a component or two!